Sunday, December 23, 2012

Faithful



A few years ago, I received a Psalm desk calendar as a Christmas gift.  The next year, that calendar took me on a journey thru many Psalms, along which I learned that:

  • some psalms praise God for his faithfulness and his power,
  • some sing of God acting on behalf of His people,
  • some give us hope and encouragement in the love of God 
  • some lament (or cry out) over a tragedy or discomfort that is being experienced.


Psalm 77 begins with the psalmist crying out.  He seems to be overwhelmed by troubles and feel separated from God.  But, the psalm ends with him praising God for His faithfulness.  It is as if the psalmist experiences a change of heart, once he recalls the many wonders of God.

Have you ever felt distant from God, overwhelmed by trouble, or asked ‘where are you, God’?  If we are honest enough to admit it, we all have experienced such times in our lives.

Like the psalmist, we can be encouraged in difficult times – we can possibly even experience joy in pain and in suffering, if we take a moment to look back and recall the faithfulness of God.  He is worthy of our praise!

We might even find ourselves singing:

Great is Thy Faithfulness;
Great is Thy Faithfulness.
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is Thy Faithfulness,
Lord unto me.

Prayer:  O Faithful God, Thank you for your presence with me always.  Help me to see your faithfulness in all circumstances.  Thank you for hearing me when I cry out and when I praise.  You are worthy of praise, Amen.

Delyn Cronk

No comments:

Post a Comment