Sunday, December 18, 2011

Afraid



As I read and re-read this passage one word keeps coming up in my mind... Afraid.
Was Mary afraid? Whenever we have something new and strange happen to us we get confused. The things we're used to are disrupted and those little alarms go off in our head. That's the way God made us to respond to change; it’s a kind of built -in conservatism and defense mechanism. But while this alarm system that Mary felt is normal and healthy, there is a dangerous and sinful kind of fear that can control us . We often live in fear of death, fear of sickness, fear of not having enough money to pay our bills and still be able to spend money on things we want. When fear lives in us, as opposed to being a reaction to something new, we become warped. We respond to situations out of fear rather than out of faith and make pretty poor disciples. We must learn to resist fear for it's the breeding ground for unbelief; it must not control us. When we read this passage, we see that Mary accepted the angel's "Fear not" at face value. I pray that we as disciples can learn from Mary and learn to not be Afraid.

Prayer: Lord, Help me to not be afraid, to serve with joy and not with a grudging or complaining attitude. Help me to be a servant of whom you can be proud. Help me be like Mary. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Tonya Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment