Saturday, December 3, 2011

Questioning




There's a story in Lawrence's family about him at age 4.  He and a little friend were lying down on a quilt resting after a morning of VBS and playing while Lawrence's Mom was hanging out clothes.  Wilma, Lawrence's Mom, said the little friend asked Lawrence, "Who made the clouds?"  To which Lawrence replied, "God did."  His friend then asked, "Who made the birds?"  Again, Lawrence replied, "God did."  "So," the little friend asked, "who made the sky?"  To which Lawrence replied, "God did."  The little friend looked at Lawrence and asked, "Who made God?"  Lawrence replied, "God just be!" 

I'm like the little friend, full of questions about God's way of doing things, about the answers which seem to come so easily to some people.  I continue to search, question, and long for such a faith filled feeling as Lawrence had at age 4.   

The priest and teachers of the law in our scriptures today question the authority of Jesus even though they had such incredible signs.  Jesus, God's son, God in flesh, did things and taught things no one had ever seen or heard before.  The prophets pointed to Jesus, and Jesus fulfilled those prophecies.  I would like to think that if I had seen, experienced, walked with, and felt the healing hand of God through Jesus, I would have become one of his followers.  Yet even today, with all the stories and knowledge about Jesus, I still question.

The priests and teachers questioned Jesus' authority, probably because they wanted things to stay the way they were.  They had good positions, good income, good security.  They questioned in hope of finding a way to deny Jesus, to deny His ministry and his claim as the Messiah.

God has walked with me.  He has healed my life and those of my loved ones.  God has comforted me in losses.  I've seen Him in and through the lives of others, and in His awesome creation.  Yet I question.  I feel God has a soft spot for us 'questioning' folks and often puts things in our lives just to let us see Him.  I'm thankful for His patience with me.  "God just be" and I know He does have all authority over us. However, I do have just a few more questions!!!!

PRAYER: God be patient with those of us who question.  As we celebrate this season of waiting, we realize you sent Your Son as a little one to show us the way, the truth and give us the life You have for us.  Help us open ourselves more each day to You and Your ways even when we don't understand!  You are an awesome God.

Lawrence & Sharon Herndon

No comments:

Post a Comment