Thursday, December 8, 2011

Collecting Garbage




I once heard a story of a homeless man who filled his stomach each night out of the dumpsters of the local restaurants. One evening as he was sifting through the dumpsters he was spotted by a man who was coming out of the back of a restaurant. The man said, "come here." Even though he was scared of going to jail, he walked up to the man who took him inside the restaurant. As he walked into the kitchen he saw that there was so much food. The man told him that he owned this restaurant and whenever he was hungry he could come here for a free meal.  As the man looked around astonished, he thanked him humbly. After taking it all in and turned to the owner and asked, "would you mind if I still ate from the dumpster too?"

As unbelievable as this is, how often do we see all the things that the God of the universe has supplied and blessed us with and still want to hold on to the junk in our lives? If we were true to ourselves, we could look at everything we have in this world and realize it means nothing compared to the goodness of God.  Paul had the right perspective when he said, "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ" (Philippians 3:7, 8 NIV)

Prayer:  Lord, show us the riches of Heaven that you have lovingly poured down upon us. Keep us from thinking too highly of the worldly things we have acquired. As we focus on your goodness today, let us love more fully, give more generously and praise you wholeheartedly. In Christ's Name, Amen.

Ryan Benton

No comments:

Post a Comment