Friday, December 2, 2011

No Excuses!



The Bible is filled with stories of people who give excuses in an attempt to avoid God’s call on their lives.   Here, Jeremiah takes his turn.  When called by God, Jeremiah replied that he was too young.   I can understand – Jeremiah was being called to deliver an unpopular message to people who were not interested in listening.   It must have seemed to be a daunting, overwhelming task.  And, Jeremiah surely felt ill-equipped to perform the task, to accept the call.

God’s message to Jeremiah was this:
I have a plan for you.
Do not be afraid.
I will give you what you need.
I will be with you.
I know you!

In verse 7, I think God says ‘No Excuses’.
Once Jeremiah accepted His call, God used him greatly.  But, it was not easy - through very difficult times and circumstances, Jeremiah carried on and lived out God’s call on his life.

God still calls people to respond to tasks that appear to be daunting and overwhelming.  This Advent season, maybe God is calling you to be or to do something.  
Maybe you feel ill-equipped to perform the task, to accept the call.  

Listen closely – God’s message to you may be:
I have a plan for you.
Do not be afraid.
I will give you what you need.
I will be with you.
I know you!

No excuses!
Like Jeremiah, when you accept God’s call, no matter how difficult the circumstances, He can and will use you greatly!

Prayer:   God, open our hearts and our ears to hear your call.  Help us overcome our fear, and trust that you have a plan for us, will give us all that we need, and will be with us forever and always.  Help us to accept your call with no excuses.  Amen.

Delyn Cronk

No comments:

Post a Comment