Saturday, December 17, 2011

Who Is He?



While reading this scripture I tried to picture the scene playing out those 2,000 plus years ago.  Jesus had definitely “shaken things up”.  His list of enemies was growing and if we read some of the scripture leading up to today’s passage, we see that even some of his own disciples were starting to waver.  The people are still coming to hear him though.  Some believed that he was the Christ while others cannot accept that he is anything more than another prophet just because the way he arrived did not exactly follow the script that they had been foretold.  Either way, they cannot deny the powerful message that he brings. 
This same scene looks pretty familiar today.  I believe we can all think of recent examples where we saw each of this cast of characters on display.  There are still those who display characteristics of the Pharisees, feeling as though they have all of the answers and not willing to accept anything that challenges their view.  We definitely have people all around us in search of answers and something to hang onto just like those who flocked to Jesus to hear him teach.  And even our most dedicated disciples still have moments of weakness and doubt just as Jesus’ chosen ones did many years ago.  Over the years and up to this day I know I have performed each of the roles in this story.  I am thankful that God is patient and forgiving as he continues to work on me.      

Prayer:  Heavenly father, please be with me today as I continue to grow stronger spiritually.  Help me to remain rooted in my belief of Jesus Christ but to remain open to new ways of receiving  and experiencing him in my life and the lives of those around me.  It is in Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. 

Jeff Henricks

No comments:

Post a Comment